Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred[_8_] fred[_8_] is offline

Default Alternatives to white coated hardboard, or should I stay with the same?

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 6:33:04 PM UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
The 'ceiling' of our little boat is made of sheets of white coated
hardboard. It's badly stained by the previous owner smoking and also
has a few mangled bits so I'm looking to replace it.

Should I stay with the white coated hardboard or are there better
(and/or cheaper) alternatives? It needs to be a similar thickness to
the existing 3.2mm hardboard though I guess it could be a bit thicker
without major problems. I want to be able to just put it up ready
finished, I don't want to paint it after installation.

I'm having a bit of trouble finding a supplier who can deliver at a
non-exorbitant price too. I can't transport 8' x 4' in the car easily
but 4' x 4' is fine so I could get 8'x4' here and chop them in half to
take them. Each panel in the boat is around 4' x 4' or a little less.

I have also tried searching for similar material in France but didn't
have much joy.

--
Chris Green
ยท

3mm white mdf is available and might be stronger than hardboard. It will still conform to a slight curve.

Assuming you can get it cut to size how will you manoeuvre it into position ?