Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nige Danton[_2_] Nige Danton[_2_] is offline

Default Basement cinema

I have a decent sized basement and I want to use part of it as a cinema
room. I'd welcome comments and feedback.

The space I plan to use is rectangular and measures 9 x 5 metres with a
ceiling height of 2.7 metres. The basement is clean and dry. I'm hoping to
achieve a decent result without spending an arm and a leg.

The walls are rendered and painted concrete. Of the 2 long sides of the
room one is essentially open with 2 arches and a central pillar (which lead
off to another space). The other long side is approximately half solid wall
and the other half is an archway. At one end of the room is a solid wall
without any openings. This is where I'm planning to position the screen. At
the remaining end of the room about 2/3rds is solid wall, with an archway
in the remainder. Obviously, at the moment the room is very hard
acoustically. Lots of echoes. There is a number of socket outlets in the
room.

I'm thinking that I need to install some heavy floor to ceiling curtains
along both long sides of the room and cover most of the floor with large
rugs. I'd need to buy the curtains and rails, but I already have a variety
of large rugs for the floor. I'm considering not having any dedicated
seating (to avoid the expense) but to simply use large cushions instead. If
that proves unsatisfactory then I could buy a couple of day-beds.

The cinema equipment would be a projector mounted either on the ceiling, or
on the end wall. The audio would be provided by a home theatre system that
I already have. I'd need to buy the projector, so I'd grateful for opinions
about projectors and things to look out for.

What do you think? What have I missed?

--
Nige Danton - Replace the obvious with g.m.a.i.l