Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default Two coats of gloss - am I wasting my time?

wrote in message
On Sunday, 4 October 2009 14:26:08 UTC+1, The Medway Handyman wrote:
Roger wrote:
"Rednadnerb" wrote in message
When painting outside woodwork with undercoat and gloss I usually go
over the areas that are heavily exposed to rain and sun with a second
coat of gloss.
But i've never actually read anywhere that this will prolong the life
of the paintwork. Am I wasting my time?

Why do something if you do not know why you are doing it?

Why be a **** if you do not know why you are doing it?

Why be so rude?

I found that two coats of gloss were essential with our front door. The
previous paint had weathered and peeled in places. No matter how much I
sanded the paint smooth, the boundary between the different layers of paint
where the top coat either has or has not peeled off, showed as a white
hairline in the newly-applied paint, especially since the paint was dark. It
was necessary to give that new paint a light sanding and then apply a second
coat over the top on the affected panels of the door.

I could have stripped off all the paint back to the bare wood, primed and
undercoated it and then put on a top coat, but that is a major job given
that the door has a lot of fiddly moulding which would have been a pig of a
job to get all the paint off the crevices.