Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Cutting oil or coolant for drill press

On Sep 19, 2017, Hul Tytus wrote
(in article ):

Joe - water mixed with 1 part Borax, ie Mule Team from the local grocery,
to 100 parts water eliminated rust on several occasions. Now, the 100 to 1
is by weight but that's one misty memory. A test with a 1000 to 1 solution
showed rust.

That is a traditional recipe. Im pretty sure that WS-5050 does the same
thing. Their instructions are pretty clear about the needed concentration,
and that simply topping off with water as the water evaporates from the mix
wont maintain full performance. I just replace the entire reservoir full
from time to time.

Iggy decided to go to oil, which is very reliable. I dont use circulating
oil to keep the mess down.

Joe

Hul

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
On Sep 18, 2017, Ignoramus10622 wrote
(in ):

A company gave me this drill press.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Allen-Drill-Press.jpg

I will actually use it instead of scrapping, and my question is, is it
better to use soluble coolant, or cutting oil on it.

It isn?t that critical, unless you are cutting something like stainless
steel (use heavy cutting oil like Mobilmet). I use Rustlick WS-5050 soluble
oil for just about everything. Use a fairly concentrated solution to prevent
undue rusting and staining of iron surfaces.

Joe