Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default The Houston Gang An update 8/30

Leon writes:
wrote:
On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 23:34:06 -0400, J. Clarke
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 13:26:14 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

J. Clarke writes:
On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 17:25:38 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)

Now, you want to talk politics, we can discuss the lack of zoning in
the Houston area that led to many houses being built in flood zones,

So it's better if factories or stores or farms are in flood zones?

Again with the strawman. Why build anything in a flood zone?

If you don't want stuff built in flood zones you need to quit
blathering about "zoning". It doesn't mean what you seem to think it
means.

No need for "zoning" at all. Just stop subsidizing flood insurance.
If you want to build below sea level, have at it.

Much of the flooding in the Houston area was 100' above sea level.
Elevation does not guarantee against flooding.
Our home is at 98'. Water only came up over our curb. Homes 1 mile north
of us are are at 100' and had 18" of water in their homes.

Yet, they built houses in a "reservoir" (barker/addicks), right?

'Those homes should probably never have been built. Now they'll be
flooded for quite some time: "Homes upstream will be impacted for
an extended period of time while water is released from the
reservoirs," the Corps wrote in a press release. The reservoirs
will take between one to three months to drain.'