Posted to alt.home.repair
Chaya Eve Chaya Eve is offline

Default Chain bar oil -- used 75W90 transmission oil?

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 16:12:32 -0400, Wade Garrett wrote:

I don't know about TF or gear oil but over the years, I accumulated
about a dozen partially used containers of various weight and age
non-synthetic engine oil- 30, 40, 10-30, 5-20, 10-40, etc. which were
left over from oil changes and top-ups on vehicles and power equipment I
no longer own.

They've all worked fine as bar oil in large and small chainsaws,
including one electric.

I only have 3/10ths of a quart of the new 75W90 left over from my
transmission oil change yesterday.
https://s26.postimg.org/l5djr820p/00...uid_Change.jpg

But I have 2.9 quarts of the dirty 75W90 that came out!
https://s26.postimg.org/st51n9q2h/00...uid_Change.jpg

In fact I have 92 ounces of the dirty stuff!
https://s26.postimg.org/fjvq0wqpl/01...uid_Change.jpg

I'm just wondering if it can be used for chain oil, but the fact it may
have metal flakes in it is probably the killer on the idea.