Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default Old TVs

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On 19/09/17 12:49, Davey wrote:
So you could be watching
Formula 1 on the PVR, while listening to Jeremy Kyle.

I am struggling to contemplate exactly whats sort of life a person
who might do such a thing, lives.

I have no idea, as I don't do it. Let us know if you find out.

I can just about understand recording formula 1 but no reason the listen
to Jeremy Kyle.
I've watched football and even the olympics while listening to a podcast,
I find it quite easy to do this as there's little of interest a football
commentator has to say although I like it when a player gives 110% or
more. So I can easily work it out for myself i.e who's winning.
I tend to listen to the TV when doing stuff on the computer.

You are lucky. I find that if I try to listen to anything speech-based while
I'm trying to do a task like watching an unrelated video or typing a
document, one or other suffers - usually I find that my brain quickly
switches off the words that I am hearing.

It's the same when I'm driving: music is OK, but I quickly lose the thread
of anything speech-based (a play, an Audible talking book) and heave to keep
going back (if it's a recording) to listen again to the bits I've missed.

I suppose on the multi-tasking scale I'm at single-task end :-)

My wife likes to doodle in boring meetings because it helps her concentrate
on what it being said. I tried it and found was concentrating so much on
what I was drawing that I missed what was being said in the meeting - so for
some people it *helps* whereas for other people it very definitely
*hinders*.

Trying to concentrate on reading a book when there's noise (especially
conversations) going on in the background is a definite no-no: in this case
my brain does the opposite and what is being said dominates and I lose the
thread of what I'm trying to read.

It's always the unwanted background task that seems to dominate over what I
want to do, never the other way round :-(

Music is fine - it's only speech that I find either distracts me from what
I'm trying to do or else I can't concentrate on if I'm doing anything else.