Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave W[_2_] Dave W[_2_] is offline

Default Predicting a graph from 3 (6?) values?

"T i m" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 14:04:56 +0100, "Dave W"
wrote:

snip

Please state the type no. of the battery;

They are MK 8GU1H

http://www.mkbattery.com/images/8GU1H.pdf
http://www.mkbattery.com/documents/9350MK_GEL_v7_r2.pdf
http://www.mkbattery.com/gel_specs.php?model=8GU1H
http://www.mkbattery.com/documents/1...I&O)_MK_r1.pdf

if more than one how they are
connected;

3, in parallel.

what current range you will be using.

0 to 30A (typically 15A).

Cheers, T i m

There's a great deal to mull over in the references you've given. I will
label them A, B, C, D in order.

Reference 'A' gives:
Current, Capacity
C/100, 36Ah
C/20, 31.6Ah
C/5, 25.6Ah

C is the current that would fully discharge the battery in 1 hour. C/5 is
the current that would fully discharge the battery in 5 hours.

Reference 'B' gives:
Current, Nominal Capacity
5 Hr Rate, 26.8Ah (different from reference 'A')
20 Hr Rate, 31.6Ah

Reference 'C' gives:
Current, Time to fully discharge:
21A, 1h (i.e. C/1)
11.9A, 2h (i.e. C/2)
5.40A, 5h (i.e. C/5)
3.10A, 10h (i.e. C/10)
1.60A, 20h (i.e. C/20)
0.36A, 100h (i.e. C/100)

Reference 'D' gives:
% Charge, Open Circuit Voltage after 24 hours
100%, = 12.85V
75%, 12.65V
50%, 12.35V
25%, 12.00V
0%, 11.80V

On page 6 are graphs of voltage against percentage discharge for currents
C1, C5, C20. (I assume that's another way of saying C/1, C/5, C/20, i.e.
21A, 5.40A, 1.60A respectively from reference 'C').

I magnified the graph, added extra grid lines, and estimated that at 50% the
voltages are 11.70V, 12.05V, 12.13V respectively. These are similar to the
values in your first posting:
11.75V @ 93A (12.4V initial)
12.05V @ 18.2A (12.7V initial)
12.10V @ 4.65A (12.75V initial)
The "initial" voltages correspond to those shown on the graph at zero
current, but I agree with you that they are irrelevant.
The corresponding currents for three batteries in parallel would be (from
reference 'C') 63A, 16.2A, 4.8A, for C/1, C/5, C/20. Similar to your first
posting except your 93A should be 63A.

From my graph readings of C1 and C20, 21A minus 1.60A gives an extra voltage
drop of 12.13V minus 11.70V. If we assume that the effective internal
resistance is the same for all currents, it would be V/I = 0.43V/19.4A =
0.022 ohms.

From my readings of C1 and C5, V/I = 0.35V/15.6A = 0.022 ohms.
From my readings of C5 and C20, V/I = 0.10V/3.8A = 0.026 ohms.

You say you will be drawing between 0A and 10A from each battery, and
typically less than 5A. That's typically near the C/5 rate of 5.40A, so I
would assume that the internal resistance of your arrangement is 0.026/3 =
0.0087 ohms i.e. 8.7 milliohms ignoring lead resistance.

The notional source voltage at the 50% discharge point is, from my C5
reading, 12.05V + 0.026 x 5.40A = 12.19V.

So if you know your current and voltage, you can work out when your notional
source voltage has dropped to 12.19V, which indicates the 50% discharged
point.

I think you should plot a graph of the speed of your normally-laden boat in
still water against current drawn. This will help decide how fast you can go
back before the battery runs out, especially if the relationship is
non-linear. 25.6Ah gives 5 hours at 5A, or 2.5 hours at 10A, your maximum
current.

As an aside, your reference 'B' shows a plot of lifetimes in terms of number
of cycles versus depth of discharge. I multiplied the cycles by the depths,
to give an indication of how the total Ah given by the battery over its life
depends on the depth of discharge:
5700 x 0.1 = 570
2100 x 0.25 = 525
1000 x 0.5 = 500
600 x 0.8 = 480
450 x 1 = 450

This seems to indicate that the life doesn't depend very much on depth of
discharge. The plot says that they are "Based on BSI 2-hour Capacity", and I
found an explanation of the 100% discharge version he
https://www.civicsolar.com/support/i...-gel-batteries

--
Dave W