Brian Henderson

Default Problem replacing shower hardware

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 16:03:43 -0500, Speedy Jim wrote:

Is this galvanized iron pipe?? Are there unions??
No idea what your arrangement looks like but one method is
to heat the fitting with a torch to expand it.
Or cut the galv and rethread it.
Or use a Dresser compression fitting.

Yes, sorry. It's galvanized iron. The problem is removing the faucet
assembly itself. The two water supply lines come off just fine, it's
the iron connections to the shower head and the faucet itself that are
completely corroded. Unfortunately, this is an old house and the
previous owners cut a hole in the tile and the space I have to work
with is about 3'x18", just between the two studs where the hardware is
mounted. If I cut off the iron pipe, I still have to deal with the
unions running up to the shower head and down to the faucet, neither
of which can be replaced as they are just as corroded and I couldn't
remove them.