Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Old TVs

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
I've often wondered if it would make sense to transmit the speech and
background/music as separate streams, allowing the viewers to decide
how loud they need the speech to be able to hear it, while not waking
the neighbours up with the sound effects! I often find myself
watching films and turning the sound up and down repeatedly as scenes
change from say two people talking in a room to someone bursting in
and opening fire.

Films are made for watching in the cinema. To do a totally different
mix for your purpose would be fairly costly - and could only be done
where the dubbing etc material still exists. It would also add to
transmission costs - and be yet something else for poor quality
control to f**k up.

Unfortunately, it seems that the cinema mix is totally unsuitable to
normal TV watching then - unless you live alone and in a detached house!

Quite. It could be some do a different mix for TV, though.

But then some love the music and FX to be loud even at home. And if they
were user adjustable most would soon get tired of having to fiddle all the
time.

--
*All men are idiots, and I married their King.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.