Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default The Houston Gang An update 8/30

On 9/18/2017 1:50 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/18/2017 10:15 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Never building in a flood prone area would make major differences in
where we live and work.Â* It would be interesting to see how it would
affect us.

DisclosuÂ* My last place of employment was right on a small river
and we had 14" of water one time.Â* Took us 3 days to get back in
production and we did have flood insurance.Â* Floods was easier to deal
with than a fire.Â* Did that ooo.

I think floods would only be easier than a fire if as many homes caught
fire as those that flooded.Â* A fire typically is an isolated case a
flood affects the community and takes months to repair, as materials
become available and mold inspectors certify weeks after the water has
gone down.Â* And with a flood finding some where else to live becomes an
issue as most hotels are filled quickly.Â* Grocery stores are closed
along with gas stations for days if not weeks.

Depends on circumstances and I speak from limited experience so blanket
statements not implied
Our flood was only 14 inches so some motors had to be dried and bearings
replaced. We knew it was coming so we moved a lot of stuff off the
floor. Some loss of raw materials on lower part of a pallet. Had it been
higher, machine control panels would have been damaged. We were down
for only 3 days.

Two fires, fifteen years apart with two different companies. Both were
6 months down. Our equipment was not lost but had smoke and minor water
damage as the actual fire was on the other side of a wall.

Flood cost was about $100,000, fire cost exceeded $2 million. Good
insurance, including business interruption insurance.