Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Old TVs

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 22:11:06 +0100, Steve Walker
wrote:

snip

I understand it's down to insufficient bandwidth or maybe video
processing power (most stressed when the frame data is completely
changing and rapidly, as with a panned scene) and I tend to see it
when others (typically) can't.

But then I spent a lot of time playing FPS and tuning the settings to
minimise such issues. ;-)

Years ago (when Reservoir Dogs was released) I used to spend a lot of
time programming as a hobby and had become used to spotting a line of
code as I scrolled through at speed.

When I was working for Kodak as a 'walking engineer' in the City,
working on their range microfilm and fiche filmers, processors and
viewers, I was amazed at how some of the 'old hands' could run though
a roll of microfilmed cheque's on one of the viewer / printers at a
fairly high speed and stop on the right one.

Part of our job was to set the electronic brake and they were very
quick to spot when it wasn't 'just right'. ;-)

I along with one other (who was a
professional programmer) found the film unwatchable as it was jumping
about as if not properly on the sprockets - the two girls with us didn't
see any problem and, apparently, no-one else in the cinema complained.

I wonder if that's a mix of being familiar with the sorts of things
that can go wrong (and so looking out for them) and being 'aware' of
stuff around you in general?

It's the same when traveling in other peoples cars and hearing noises
that I think aren't right but they might not have even heard, let
alone considered or hearing noises from stuff to a level that I
couldn't tolerate in my own house but they seem completely oblivious
of (like a humming mains transformer or a whistling light or PSU).

I remember when colour TV's first came out and people had the colour
turned right up to increase the effect! ;-)

We were invited up to dinner with the in-laws and to 'see if I could
get their new soundbar working with their new 3D TV'. Once I'd sorted
the soundbar (selected the right output mode on the TV and the right
input port on the soundbar shrug) I asked if I could see the 3D TV
in action. We put on the glasses and they put in DVD and they were
going on about how good it looked but to me it just looked all wrong.
I asked if they had some 3D material and they seemed to think that
*any* video would work? So I put on a 3D BD and they then were amazed
and once they realised there really was a difference! ;-)

To be fair I think they only got it because it was offered to them at
the same price of the 2D TV they wanted that was out of stock so may
not have done any research into the best models (assuming they would
have done that etc).

Cheers, T i m