Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Normal A/C on / off cycle durations?

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 18:48:05 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

On Sun 17 Sep 2017 10:27:43a, Vic Smith told us...

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 09:24:25 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

The question was about short cycling and how he could determine if
his was short cycling.

snip

I live in your area, FWIW. Cycling has a lot to do with your
thermostat's "anticipator." I think I have mine maxed to avoid
excessive cycling. Thermostat placement is also important, as is
air circulation in your home. Unless it's in the 90's, mine cycles
only enough to reach the temp the thermostat is set to. That
doesn't mean it's the same temp everywhere in the house, just the
hallway where the thermostat is mounted on the wall.
It's important to have good air circulation to avoid hot spots. I
have ceiling fans. I'll try to remember to time the cycling for
you today. We should be close to the same temp.

I've never checked the settings inside my thermostat as I've had no
reason to. I have checked the temperature in every room except the
kitchen (it has no vent and is closed off except for the doorway.
OUr temperature variant is no more than 2 degrees amongst all the
rooms. Our unit cycles about 3 times an hour. We live in central
AZ. We do use ceiling fans to help average out the temperature, and
we keep the thermostat set at 77° F.

Mine was cycling about 3 times an hour yesterday. It was 82 outside and it was set at 79.
I was wrong about having an adjustable anticipator - that was my old thermostat.
The Honeywell I have now has CPH (cycles per hour) and since I don't remember programming
it, it's probably set to the default, which is 4 (every 15 minutes.)
The thermostat must have anticipator logic (aka hysteresis) built in. They don't give
such technical details in the user manual. From experience, it's about 1 degree F.
Patricia can check the user manual for her thermostat. Should be able stop the
short-cycling if the thermostat setting is causing it. That's all I know.