Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default The Houston Gang An update 8/30

On 9/18/2017 10:15 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/18/2017 9:26 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
J. Clarke writes:
On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 17:25:38 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)

Now, you want to talk politics, we can discuss the lack of zoning in
the Houston area that led to many houses being built in flood zones,

So it's better if factories or stores or farms are in flood zones?

Again with the strawman.Â*Â* Why build anything in a flood zone?

What do you base that on?Â* I may or may not agree with you depending on
the numbers.

How much of the presently built up area is in a flood plain?Â* Break down
between residential and commercial/industrial.

If the flood plains were abandoned, what other space is available to
build on?

100 year?Â* 500 year?Â* 5 year?Â* I don't care if you build right on the
beach, but don't expect the rest of us to help.

There were a lot of places stupidly build in areas that flood and would
not be allowed today.Â* I know of an area in Tuckerton NJ that was built
in the 1950's right on man made lagoons.Â* Vacation homes, no heat, but
right on the ground.Â* Most have long been raised a few feet, some now
year round houses that would.Â* Codes have changed in those areas.

Never building in a flood prone area would make major differences in
where we live and work.Â* It would be interesting to see how it would
affect us.

DisclosuÂ* My last place of employment was right on a small river and
we had 14" of water one time.Â* Took us 3 days to get back in production
and we did have flood insurance.Â* Floods was easier to deal with than a
fire.Â* Did that ooo.

I think floods would only be easier than a fire if as many homes caught
fire as those that flooded. A fire typically is an isolated case a
flood affects the community and takes months to repair, as materials
become available and mold inspectors certify weeks after the water has
gone down. And with a flood finding some where else to live becomes an
issue as most hotels are filled quickly. Grocery stores are closed
along with gas stations for days if not weeks.