Velvet

Default Are room thermostats out of fashion?

Andrew wrote:

In article , Dave Plowman
writes

In article .uk,
Ed Sirett wrote:

This is simply not the case in my experience. Bad tenants do exist just
like other kinds of bad people, they are a small minority especially
where accomodation of any kind is at a premium.

Most tenancy agreements explicitly state that using the deposit to pay
the last month's rent is forbidden and people abide by that agreement.

Yes. Unlike IMM, I don't know many who rent out properties, but have a
good friend who does - and it's now his only source of income. He selects
his tenants with care, and very rarely has money problems with them.

Of course, if you're renting out some rat hole, there's a good chance
you'll get rats as tenants.

Watch tonights 'Tenants from Hell 2003' on now - ITV

I wish they'd do a 'landlords from hell' too. Not all tenants are bad.
Not even most tenants are bad. Not many good tenants stay good
tenants for long when faced with a bad landlord who treats them as a bad
tenant though.

I used to do small amounts of maintenance work to the flat I rent. Then
the landlord changed, and the new one hiked the rent by nearly 40%. I
suffered no hot water for several months, followed by no oven for
several months - both of which were clearly their responsibility to get
sorted.

As a result, I'm not prepared to put in my time, money, and effort into
those bits of maintenance I used to do. They want going rates, they get
to do all the maintenance they should. And they're liers to boot. They
lied to me about the boiler, they lied about the oven. And they lied
about the reason given for putting the rent up.

Landlords should think a bit more about the fact that if they treat
tenants badly, of course their tenants won't feel in the least bit
inclinded to cut them any slack, let alone help them along. I don't
condone what really terrible tenants do, but I can fully understand how
they might reach that point after having experienced bad treatment from
a landlord.

Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself.

Velvet