Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tiny engines

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 04:28:39 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 18:46:59 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 00:51:21 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher
wrote:

I'm seeking a small engine that can drive a generator.
By small, I mean in the 12"^3 range.

It must be 4 cycle as it will need to run on propane.
It will drive a 13.8V generator, or 120VAC, say 800 watts.

If H-F Item#63025 was 4 cycle, (and it was un-junk....) that
would be ideal.

This to fit aboard a sailboat for stationary power/starter
battery recharging.

Will this work? How many horsies does that genset take?
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-hp-7...epa-69733.html
It appears to be a 4-stroke with a 5/8" shaft.
11-3/4 x 12-1/4 x 11-3/4 fits your size requirement.
Ball bearing crank, cast sleeve, seems un-junk to me, but I've never
even seen one.

Do you already have a nice solar panel for your yacht?

Of course, if instead you have a Diesel in that size [Ha!],
speak up.

Would be nice, huh? I'd build a motorcycle with one since I don't have
a boat. (Shut up, Gunner. I don't need one.

(VBG!!!)

I thought you might see that. g

A Zero DS or Hayes Kaw Diesel would make me happy.
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-ds/specs.php
http://www.trucktrend.com/news/0604d...el-motorcycle/
Solar fuels the former, stored diesel the latter.

Putting a bank of 900 ah and 125-300 watts of solar cells above the
stern railing...easy peasy

He said "charge the battery", not "battery bank". I was thinking a
simple 80w for LED lights, radio, and laptop. One battery ought to
handle that. BUT, if he had a larger boat, solar panels could be
utilized to replace the sail while the batteries replaced a
significant portion of the ballast. VBG.

--
Stoop and you'll be stepped on;
stand tall and you'll be shot at.