Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tiny engines

wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 00:51:21 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher
wrote:

I'm seeking a small engine that can drive a generator.
By small, I mean in the 12"^3 range.

It must be 4 cycle as it will need to run on propane.
It will drive a 13.8V generator, or 120VAC, say 800 watts.

If H-F Item#63025 was 4 cycle, (and it was un-junk....) that
would be ideal.

This to fit aboard a sailboat for stationary power/starter
battery recharging.

Of course, if instead you have a Diesel in that size [Ha!],
speak up.

Briggs and Stratton 800 or 900 series engines.
Northern Tool carries them. 8 ft lb torque, so 5.4HP at 3600 RPM.

$260 for the 800 series, $350 for the 900 series 6 HP (9 ft lb at
3600)
The Honda GX200 is another option - $429 at Tractor Supply.

Tose are 200-205cce engines - or 12 cu inches, which I believe was
your specification.

The GX160 is the 4HP honda 163cc. The Briggs 550 series is 127cc
4hp.

Parts to adapt and modify Honda GX160, GX200 and Harbor Freight
Predator 212 engines are readily available:
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/clone-engine

http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24215

My Predator 212 engine has split two cords of firewood and cut two oak
beams on my sawmill satisfactorily. It's easier to start and vibrates
less than a Tecumseh OHH55. My only complaint is that I have to remove
the gas tank and unscrew its outlet fitting to fully drain the
gasoline before long term storage.

There are lightweight sub-kilowatt generators out there, I have an old
Kohler 500 Watt PowerPlay (loud 2-stroke) and Honda made an EM600.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-EM600-...-/391889309504

I don't know how good the current production models are.
http://www.powerhouse-products.com/p...product/500wi/

500 Watts is enough to charge a 12V battery at over 30 Amps, if you
can find a suitable Variac and transformer to build the charger.

-jsw