Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith nuttle Keith nuttle is offline

Default Woodpecker holes

On 9/17/2017 5:55 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 1:34:47 PM UTC-4, Gramps' shop wrote:
Son's siding has sizable woodpecker damage. What would you use to fill the holes?

Maybe he has, maybe he hasn't, but if he doesn't get rid of whatever the
woodpeckers are digging for he'd have to side the house with concrete to
prevent further damage.

We had a woodpecker that cut into our attic through the wood slat vent
in the gable of the roof. My first impulse was to limit the birds
access to the total attic, so I put a cat cage over the hole he created.
Over the next couple days I realized the only way to prevent the bird
from want to access the attic was to convince him he did not want in
there. So I first put an old cookie sheet in the bottom of the cat
cage, thinking about it put enough motor oil on it to cover the cookie
sheet. and finally added some moth balls to the oil.

I worked and I forgot about the whole thing until we had the house
stained and the painter came to me with a very puzzled look on his face.
I don't remember if we sold the house with that contraption up there
or not, but we had no problems with woodpeckers

--
2017: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre