Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Correct VIN?

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 14:46:43 -0500, philo wrote:

On 09/17/2017 02:32 PM, micky wrote:
In rec.autos.tech, on Sun, 17 Sep 2017 19:14:48 +0000, Stormin' Norman
wrote:

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 14:29:52 -0400, micky
wrote:

Looking to buy a car, check the VIN on carfax, and the repair history
there conflicts with the seller's story about where the car has been.

So maybe I copied the VIN wrong, probably just one digit, but the make
and model of the car that carfax reports is the same as the one I'm
looking at. Does that mean I have the right VIN?

OTOH aren't the last 6 or so digits just a sequential number from the
assembly line that makes, at least for a period of time, just one make
and model, and maybe 2 or 3 submodels?? So that would mean that I still
might have used the wrong VIN, right? If I got the last digit, or even
the next to the last, I might have the car that came off the line next,
right?

A suggestion; in the future, use your phone to take a picture of the
ID plate on the car. I have been doing this with all my equipment, so
that when I need to find a manual online, I don't have to rely on my
nearly indecipherable handwriting.

I did take pictures of it, at the seller's suggestion, but when I got
home, I couldn't find the pictures. Glad you reminded me. I'll look
again. The flash went off so a picture must have been taken, but I
always have trouble find the pictures from Android Camera.

Your story sounds fishy to me, it you took a picture why did you bother
to write it down?

All you have to do is look in your photo gallery.

My 91 year old mother has no problem doing that, it's not even close to
being difficult.

Remember who you are talking to/about. It's Mikey. Not trying to be
hardon the poor lad - but - - - - -