Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Telescopic ladders

On 17/09/2017 16:47, TMH wrote:
Anyone used one of these telescopic ladders?

The main use will be cleaning/repairing gutters, don't need to get on
the roof. I have a suitable double extension already, but sometimes
getting it through the house to the back is a problem.

So, what height do I need? They seem to only go up to 5 metres.

Also, I understand that you extend them from the top, upwards. If I want
to use it at half height, will the bottom portion prevent me from using it?

I have a set. I find them very useful at times and I can transport them
in the boot of the car. They are heavier than the equivalent 'domestic'
quality aluminium ladder that I also own. Because of the telescopic
nature of the beast the tubular sections at the bottom are larger than
the top I and the more sections you have the larger the bottom section -
in general this it what makes it heavier. I have the 3.5m version but
I'm not sure that the design concept is suitable for much longer versions.

Also, I understand that you extend them from the top, upwards. If I
want
to use it at half height, will the bottom portion prevent me from
using it?

If you want half height you leave all the top rungs bunched together.
You open from the bottom.

See example instructions
http://www.ladderstore.com/media/upl...der-Manual.pdf

They sometimes can be a PITA to collapse. Once the ladder has had weight
on it the catches sometimes jam in the locked position - you have to
watch your fingers as the rungs meet each other when collapsed (aka a
blunt guillotine) so when trying to free the catches make sure that you
fingers are clear of the lower rungs.