Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Generator Neutral & Ground Question

On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 10:46:53 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 9:31:30 PM UTC-4, TimR wrote:
Between my meter and my house main panel is a disconnect, installed when they upgraded the panel.

Does that disconnect switch just the hots, or the neutral too?

No

Make that no, the neutral is not switched.

Because if I pull that disconnect and am totally off the grid, I'm not going to endanger any linemen if I put a generator in my system, correctly or not.

But if the neutral is still connected, is there a risk?

I can't see a risk, no matter what you do. If you tried to energize the neutral with an alternate power source what would the return path be between there and the utility? The only possible path would be the earth and that's tied to the neutral. It would be like connecting one wire to one terminal of a battery.