Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerry[_9_] Gerry[_9_] is offline

Default Vemcolite VL-4 on 50Hz? Update

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 08:45:30 +1000, Jon Anderson
wrote:

Pulled the lamp out of storage, had a look.
In the base is a transformer, no voltage info.
Up in the head, is a 3 button switch. Center is off for both bulbs.
One turns on the conventional bulb. This should be no issue, can get
220v screw base bulbs here (bayonet more common).
There is no ballast that I can see, unless it's inside the switch which
seems unlikely. Switch body is 1.25 x .5 x .5, not much room inside!
So, what are my chances of getting this to work with a small travel type
step down transformer?

Just went looking, and found an LED conversion, 240v input. $32, plus
some rewiring, replacing switches, not a real big deal.
Think I'm going to go this route, but still interested in opinions on above.

Jon

---

I think you will find that the "transformer" is actually the ballast
for the "circline" fluorescent tube. The button that controls this
part of the fixture may serve two functions - a. it controls on/off of
power to the ballast, or this could be a function of the button for
the incandescent bulb. b. it serves as a momentary contact to energize
the heater elements which create the mercury vapor conductive path in
the fluorescent tube.