Martik

Default Repairing a hole going outside? (pics)

It's will be difficult to mud and featheredge that patch in, I would
probably replace the whole sheet of drywall.
Show us the 'after' picture.

"sx" wrote in message
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here, and I would just like to note that this is my
first house, I just bought it last week.
Therefore I do not know alot about fixing things in a home, but I am very
good with my hands and can get around just about
anything as long as I have some advice on how to do it. That being said, I
will describe the problem:

The previous owner had a hole going outide from the basement, not in the
foundation, but just above through
the wood and ultimately through the vinyl outside. I have included a

couple
of pics to better describe the issue:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/sledhead/ho...3/IMG_2012.JPG

http://www3.sympatico.ca/sledhead/ho...3/IMG_2013.JPG

http://www3.sympatico.ca/sledhead/ho...3/IMG_2014.JPG

I guess what I am looking for is reccomendations on how to repair this and
keep the house "vapour barriered" for a lack
of a better term.

I'm only speculating here but this is what I think I am going to need,
please correct me if I am wrong.

1.) Plastic sheet about 6" bigger than the hole
2.) Some kind of silicone
3.) 1/2" thick or so peice of plywood to cover the hole and plastic
4.) Screws to screw it in place.
5.) Insulation to cover it up
6.) Drywall sheet

Here is my theory on how I will go to fix it.

This will all be done by the inside of the house (from the basement)

1.) Cut out a peice of plastic about 6" diameter larger than the hole

itself
2.) Slap some silicone (lots of it) all around the edges of the plastic.
3.) Put the plastic in place to cover the hole and stick it all around
4.)Grab the peice of plywood and cover the plastic and screw it into place
5.) Attach another peice of plastic larger than the plywood and silicone

it,
into place.
6.) Insulate the area.
7.) Put in the new peice of drywall.

Anything else? or am I missing some kind of material?
Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

GDC