Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith nuttle Keith nuttle is offline

Default Newbie Question, Drawer Lock Router Bits

On 9/15/2017 3:06 AM, Alan Holbrook wrote:
Keith Nuttle wrote in
news
On 9/14/2017 4:52 PM, Alan Holbrook wrote:

Professional and my woodworking is an oxymoron, but I have made some
nice drawers/boxes using this bit

https://woodworker.com/drawer-lock-b...516.asp?search
=router%20bits%20joinery&searchmode=2

Thanks, but again, I'm trying to understand the implications of different
cutting diameters and different cutting heights.

I don't understand what you are looking for.

With a bit like this, the diameter is defined by the bits available and
you router. The depth is defined by the bit its self. If the depth is
wrong the interlocking joint will not work. This would be true for this
bit and any other similar bit.

If you are talking about the width of the wood in the joint, there are
many articles on determining these width. As I remember the rule is
about is thirds, the grove of the joint should be about a third of the
width of the piece of wood on one piece and the tongue should be a
corresponding third of the other piece

If you have several different routers the larger shaft is better from a
safety point of view.

--
2017: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre