Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Fuel usage calculator

On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 16:55:13 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

* Anybody know of a calculator to guesstimate how much wood I'll need
for winter ? Will have to have an "average degree-days sort of input ...
I can find tables of average BTU's per unit for most species of wood - I
burn red and white oak almost exclusively .
* Snag

A couple of critical variables are difficult impossible
to factor in to a calculator - what type of structure ?
- old & drafty - or new and sealed ? somewhere between ?
How warm do you like to keep it ?
Also - if the structure is open to the howling winds -
it will affect things as much as degree days.
I would ask a few wood-burning neighbours before trusting
a guess-work calculator.
John T.