Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The Houston Gang An update 8/30

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 09:17:48 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 12-Sep-17 6:23 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

Don't focus so tightly on the container as it is. Look at it as it could
be: Windows, doors, plumbing, electricity can ALL be installed. ...

And by the time you do that w/ a box not intended for the purpose might
as well just have a purpose-built prefab -- oh, FEMA already did that.

I think the idea is that these intermodal containers could be shipped
where they're needed using existing infrastructure and *stored* until
needed. The FEMA trailers made during Katrina weren't much good the
first time around.

There's an outfit around here using them as the basis for tornado
shelters and folks use them all over as storage and occasionally
repurpose for small barns, etc., and yes, rarely for dwelling space but
they're simply not particularly well-suited for the purpose at hand.

For permanent homes, no, I don't think anyone is proposing that
they're a good idea.