Posted to alt.home.repair
KenK KenK is offline

Default Oven or breaker bad?

dpb wrote in news
On 08-Sep-17 12:30 PM, KenK wrote:

Trouble is, it doesn't unplug. The connection to the power line is

hard-
wired. Looks like it is soldered but I didn't remove tape to check.

I've looked at all your responses that show up here and never did see
the ? answered of whether the breaker will reset with the oven/burners
all off?

No burners, just oven. Breaker stays on until oven used to cook
something.

Are the burner elements all functional -- if so, that actually answers
the first question.

There are just two connections to the element at the back of the oven
wall behind the mounting plate -- turn the breaker off and remove the
bake element and check continuity between the two leads when loose.

That should show an open. My problem appears to be a short circuit.

I've never had an element fail that actually wasn't obvious -- they

make
a good arc welder for just a second generally, but they could open
without a catastrophic failure.

As Clare says, the particular oven/range would let us know the specific
device...

Gaffers and Sattlers purchased used many years ago when gas oven failed.