Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gray_Wolf Gray_Wolf is offline

Default Cleaning Aluminum From An Abused Grinding Wheel

On 9/9/2017 4:52 PM, David Billington wrote:
On 09/09/17 21:44, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I just cleaned an aluminum-clogged file (a VERY fine toothed file) by soaking
it in lye.Â* I don't know if I'd do that with a wheel - would the lye attack
the wheel's binder?Â* But if you a had a junk wheel, you could try it.

IIRC a strong alkali can attack some ceramics but weak may be OK and I know weak
alkalis will attack aluminium, also ferric chloride attacks aluminium in the
same sort of reaction to thermite.

I'd use a good dressing tool to clean it up.