Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington[_2_] David Billington[_2_] is offline

Default Cleaning Aluminum From An Abused Grinding Wheel

On 09/09/17 21:44, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I just cleaned an aluminum-clogged file (a VERY fine toothed file) by
soaking it in lye. I don't know if I'd do that with a wheel - would
the lye attack the wheel's binder? But if you a had a junk wheel, you
could try it.

IIRC a strong alkali can attack some ceramics but weak may be OK and I
know weak alkalis will attack aluminium, also ferric chloride attacks
aluminium in the same sort of reaction to thermite.