Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oven or breaker bad?

On 8 Sep 2017 17:30:19 GMT, KenK wrote:

wrote in
:

On Wed, 6 Sep 2017 10:38:48 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 9/6/2017 9:43 AM, KenK wrote:
Oven conked out while cooking yesterday. Found 240V breaker tripped.
Reset it and tried again, Breaker tripped again. Now to figure out
if problem is in the breaker or the oven. I'm hoping the breaker.

Can't figure out how to tell which without replacing the breaker.
I'm afraid I'm not strong enough any more to pry that old breaker
out of the box so I'll have to call an expensive electrician.

Hoping breaker more likely to trip if worn out than oven to short
circuit - I'd think oven heating element would open up instead, but
what do I know?

Guesses? Suggestions? I'd like to get my oven back at a reasonable
cost,

TIA

Rare that a breaker goes bad under normal circumstances. I'd bet on
the oven. When you said you tried it again, did you mean you turned
the oven on and it tripped again? If so, that would make it an
oven, not breaker problem.

Heating elements go bad on a regular basis. Sometimes they break,
other times they just short out. If you can get a good look at the
element you may even see the problem.

The element will only cost $20 to $30 and they are not difficult to
replace, but it may take more agility than you have. Figure about
$100 for a service call if you go that route.

Unplug the oven and grab your multitester - check line to ground for
a short.

Trouble is, it doesn't unplug. The connection to the power line is hard-
wired. Looks like it is soldered but I didn't remove tape to check.

Where are you located? What style/brand of "oven" - is it a built-in?