barry martin

Default Home intercom system ques

Bill:

B Our home has a broken 70's Nutone (tube type) AM/FM intercom system.
B We did initially try to have this unit repaired and the tech said it
B was cheaper to replace. The cabling to each room is 3 wires. We are
B looking for a basic intercom to replace this; the primary purpose to
B play CD music throughout the house. I have looked a little on Ebay and
B such and most systems are in the $500-700 range here. Any ideas how
B we could get this done for less? We are pretty frugal here! Thanks
B in advance - Bill

If you want good quality sound you probably will be better off to use
the three wires for speaker leads. Haven't heard intercoms lately but
last I did they sounded rather tinny. Even an inexpensive speaker
would sound better!

Be cautious when wiring: speakers in parallel will drop the impedence
quickly. Two 8-ohm speakers in parallel is a 4ê load. OTOH two 4ê
lines in series would bring it back up to 8ê. You're also playing
with the output levels.... Can use a 6ê higher-wattage resistor
between the speaker output on the amplifier and all the paralleled
speaker leads.

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* Headline: Suicidal twin accidently kills brother.
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *