Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Tiling an old shower from scratch

On 9/7/2017 8:14 AM, Colleen C wrote:
I'm digging into an old shower in our rental house

I assume this is one you are renting out, not living in.

1) Rip out old caulk and vinyl. Keep plywood. (Ok to keep plywood?)

It may be OK to keep, but check for water damage, of course.

2) Cover ply with plastic vapor barrier. Is using Tyvek ok? I have lots
leftover from a home addition and would love to use it up. Should I attach
with staples? Is folding over the corners ok?

Tyvek is not made for that. Poly sheeting is cheap enough,

3) Deal with a flat "shelf" space that is about 4.5 ft up, across from
shower
nozzle. The water doesn't spray directly onto it, but it will have water
vapor
build up. Should I work to make it a slant?

Is this like the foundation in a raised ranch? I'd build up the wall to
be flush. That is what my house is like and the shower is a straight
wall It would be nice to have a shelf in the shower but if not done
right, it is a source of leaks. If you can put a single piece of tile
rather than small tiles it may not be so bad. If you pitch it to drain
it would be useless as a shelf.

3) Attach cement board. Cover gaps and seams with fiber mesh tape, using
thinset mortar.

4) Caulk cement board outer seams.

5) Tile using thinset mortar. Caulk outer seams. Grout. Seal.

Epoxy grout. Cost more but eliminates a lot of potential problems. In
a rental the tenant may not be so good at cleaning and you can end up
with moldy grout when they move out and have a major repair. No sealing
needed. What outer seams are you caulking? I have no caulk in either
bathrooms.