Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Battery life for PIRs

On 06/09/2017 00:03, Dave W wrote:
"ss" wrote in message
I have a wireless Yale alarm, battery operated.
I dont have a need to use it often but find the batteries in one
particular PIR only lasts approx 6 months, the others maybe 18 months.
This PIR is passed multiple times a day, so my question is, even though
the alarm is not turned on does the PIR use battery power everytime
someone passes it.

Of course - battery power is required to run the PIR sensor, whether or not
it senses anything. Perhaps that particular one has been set for higher
sensitivity, requiring more power.

Possibly because its wireless it only transmit if it detects something.
The PIR circuit is low power and works 100% of the time and the
transmitter requires extra power which is taken from the battery on
every movement detection. One sensor sees little movement hence taking
less power and has a longer battery life whilst the other sensors make
more transmissions and has a shorter battery life.