Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia[_9_] Jeff Wisnia[_9_] is offline

Default Broken Kitchen Cabinet Shelf Supports - Removing Stems

Frank wrote:

I am a retired chemist and it is true that plascitizers can bleed out
but I doubt if they are used in transparent refrigerator shelves.
Plastics usually degrade by oxidation accelerated by heat and sunlight.
Sometimes solvents can cause crazing. You don't put chemical solvents
in your refrigerator but oils and things like alcohol at high levers can
be detrimental. I worked for a while on automotive resins and we tested
samples with all the crap that can fall on a plastic part like oil, gas,
windshield washer fluid, brake fluid etc. Plastics are fine for many
uses but I have seen a lot of badly designed ones.

Frank:

This thread (Which I started) isn't about transparent refrigerator
shelves, it is about little plastic shelf support pegs like these:

http://tinyurl.com/y9cvkwta

The bracket part snaps off the peg, leaving the peg in the hole in the
cabinet wall with nothing projecting to pull it out by.

This type is better:

http://tinyurl.com/ybsaj5fn

Because it uses a steel peg which extends out into the clear plastic
support and it can take a much higher load without failing.

Nuff said,

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia