Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Power backup ideas

On Tuesday, September 5, 2017 at 12:54:07 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
wrote in
:

Measured it yesterday. 12.9 to 13.0 volts DC on battery terminals.

To avoid sulfation I assume I need a new charger. Trouble is, who
knows what the output voltage will really be? Can't trust package or
ad info on line. Too late to find out after I unwrap it and plug it
in. I suppose I could buy a big fancy expensive charger with output
voltage control, if such a thing exists. sigh

is there no load on it?

Just the battery.

let it sit a few days and see if the voltage comes up.

Nope. as of 9/4 still 12.9 to 13 VDC on the bettery terminals.

If the battery was discharged and the charger is small, it can take a
while for the voltage to come up,,,, a while..... as in days.

Not clear exactly the whole situation here. But the smart battery
tenders have charging algorithms and are not simply dumb trickle
chargers like they were years ago. I think they raise the voltage
to charge, then when fully charged they back off and monitor,
then charge again when and if needed. MEaning what you see there
isn't necessarily static. Have you pulled up the specs on whatever
the actual charger is and how it's supposed to operate?