Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
David Eather David Eather is offline

Default Cutting Plexiglass (Perspex)

On Tue, 05 Sep 2017 13:27:30 +1000, David Eather wrote:

On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 08:57:06 +1000, Dave M
wrote:

Anyone have experience in accurately cutting 1/8" thick acrylic
Plexiglas
(Perspex) for LED displays?

I need to make filters for some panel meters of my own design, but am
having
trouble finding off-the-shelf bezels and filters of the sizes I need.
Before everyone tells me that there are cheap Chinese panel meters
available
on the web, I already know about them. My meters are for a unique
application and the available digital panel meters can't be modified to
fill
my needs. The display is the really unique part, and I need to make my
own
filters for the displays. I need 3 different sizes; 1.25" x 2.5". 2.75"
x 5"
and 4" x 5".

I've thought about using a table saw with a cabinet-grade finishing
blade.
That's possible, but somewhat dangerous due to the small size of the
filters.
Also thought about hot wire cutting. That's quite possible, relatively
safe
(just have to keep fingers off the hot wire). Might be hard to keep the
wire
taut enough to make straight cuts, and guiding the plastic through the
wire
or the wire through the plastic.
Also thought about cutting on a drill press or milling machine. Again,
bit dangerous due to the small size of the work. Clamping would be
tricky.

Any suggestions as to a good, safe approach to cutting the plastic?

Dave M

This is a real non-issue. Just look up laser cutting services on Google
and you find a heap that do one offs at low cost

--
The latest set of Shadow Broker tools shows the UK, USA, Canada,
Australian and New Zealand spy agencies were hacking into domestic home