Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Nothing Special, but It Still Made Me Smile - Turning

Throwing away the bits and pieces, and double checking for other interesting
bits and pieces. The bearing hub looks like cast iron with the plastic tub
injected around it. I had to do quite a lot of cutting to free the hub.
That's some tough plastic. If they made regular consumer goods out of it
the economy would collapse because people would never throw anything away.
Figured the whole hub might be worth something if I wanted to spin something
heavy in the future. It has SKF bearings in it. I was going to go ahead
and press them out, but then I realized if I used the hub for anything I
might want just those bearings to go with it.

I gotta say that scrapping is an awful lot of work for what you get out of
it. So far a motor that I may or may not be able to use for a future
project. A piece of steel shaft, a couple bearings, a lump of cast iron,
and a really thin stainless wash tub with a million holes in it. Yeah there
is some cast aluminum, but its pretty cruddy and oxidized. I'd probably use
$3 worth of flux to clean $2 worth of aluminum.