Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The Houston Gang An update 8/30

On Sunday, September 3, 2017 at 3:32:26 PM UTC-5, J. Clarke wrote:

I do not know the rules, I'm sure it depends on the location. BUT I
recall seeing the trailers everywhere, mostly in driveways.

I remember temporary exclusions being made from time to time.

If it's designed to be a house trailer or RV and if it's on your
property, why would there be an issue?

I read the City Codes (you can look them up easily if you are asking as more than a talking point) and they are very specific regulations on number of axles, length of trailers, specifics on equipment, equipment trailers, and on a on. So a dual axle RV falls under the City Codes, as does a dual axle trailer of any type, including livable trailers.

It is illegal to park any vehicle, trailer, piece of equipment, implement of anything that resembles those examples off an "improved" surface. So you can't just haul out trailer and put it in your backyard or alongside the house. Any of those things has to be parked on asphalt, concrete, or "otherwise improved" surfaces. The intent is that they don't want grandparents trailer hauled into the front yard (or backyard)of a subdivision and have it sink in the yard up to the axles.

Are you suggesting that in Houston it's illegal to park your RV in
your driveway?

Not to park it, but to leave it for a length of time, yes. We have a limit on how long they can stay if they have dual axles. We have another ordinance that keep people from hooking up to electric, sewer and water services for more than a few days. No one wants to hear the generators running all night, see oozing sewer pipes, the lights hanging off the sides of the trailers so the occupants can sit outside and drink beer. Citizen complaints can greatly shorten the time allowed to have a living unit on your property.

To be clear, some RVs are too large to be allowed. IIRC, Houston's length ban is 20'. No one wants to see some weekend warrior that is used to driving nothing large than his minivan trundling down crowded streets, or trying to back into a narrow driveway jackknifing the trailer while he blocks the streets figuring out how to back a trailer he uses twice a year. And some people guests just don' know when to leave.

The biggest problem that we had here before all the mountain of ordinances were passed was that people drug trailers into their driveways and used it as a permanent bedroom for their elderly relatives, unruly teenagers and even party houses to watch sporting events. Pretty convenient; you have place to watch the event, a fridge for the beer, and even weatherproof conditions to do it in. Some of those trailer stayed in the driveways for YEARS, YEARS, axles rusted solid, non working brakes, and sitting on cinder blocks since the tires had long rotted out.

Most likely there will be a great amount of leeway and discretion shown in trailer use and placement due to the incredible severity of the housing shortage. In the hundreds of briefings and updates that have followed in the last tend days, I did catch one where the FEMA guys responded about the trailer availability and use and he said they were proceeding quickly but carefully, adding that they had "learned a lot since Katrina".

Guess we will see. I don't think anyone knows exactly what is going to happen on any long term aspects of this situation yet. I have been in touch with my sister quite a bit and at last the water is out of her house. But they are still pretty much on their own, hauling out all their furniture and belongings by themselves. All the aid is still focused on relocating people, feeding them, and secondary searches of houses and debris, cleanup, etc..

Robert