Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_7_] dadiOH[_7_] is offline

Default SketchUp

"dpb" wrote in message news
On 03-Sep-17 12:18 PM, Leon wrote:

Your last statement, about 3D modeling, is what makes Sketchup so much
better than 2D software. You get to inspect and see if the components
fit together correctly. You literally can show some one your drawing and
they will understand what the project will look like.

I know _eventually_ one can get to an end result and have enough facility
to be able to do it relatively quickly, but I'm surely having difficulty
in getting there, too...

I started some months ago to try to do what I thought was going to be a
fairly simple task to draw a rendition of the outside of the house which
is just an almost square two-story with hip roof (the length of the ridge
is about 4 ft, the difference from perfect square) from which I could then
add on the single story entry on the east and the kitchen on the south.
The end goal is to create a plan for redoing the entry way as it was just
an old porch folks closed in nearly 40 yr ago and it is moving from lack
of substantial foundation and buildup of yard around from dust bowl days
on.

Anyway, I managed to get a rendition of the outer dimensions and the
height to the upper roof line but in three days of trying I never was able
to get the roof added with consistent pitch and overhang...no matter how I
tried to create a plane and some points and pull up, somehow it never
interpreted what was desired correctly. I then tried construction points
to fix a point for the two ridge ends in space and the intersections of
the eave edges and fill in the planes -- that also never managed to get
slopes to match actual despite measured distances being entered...spring
planting then interfered and here it's September and I've still not gotten
anything altho it's now been at least a month since last attempt...I'm
just too "wore'd out" to spend two more hours every night...I need one
that says "draw that" shone a picture.

Assuming you know the rise, one way...

1. Draw a vertical line from the center point of a gable end

2. Measure up the vertical line equal to the rise

3. Draw a horizontal line house end to house end from the point in #2

4. Draw lines from the corners of the overhang to the ends line in #3

5. Erase line #1