Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia[_10_] Jeff Wisnia[_10_] is offline

Default Broken Kitchen Cabinet Shelf Supports - Removing Stems

Uncle Monster wrote:

Whenever I had to remove those broken plastic studs, I used a 1/8" or smaller drill bit to carefully drill into the center of the stud, screw in a small sheet metal or preferably a wood screw then use a small claw hammer or pry bar to pull the screw with the plastic on it out of the hole. If you size the drill bit a screw properly, you can pull it out with your fingers. If the screw is much larger than the diameter of the drill bit, it will make the plastic stud tighter in the hole requiring the claw hammer or pry bar to remove it. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Plastic Monster

That was the first thing I tried years ago, but given the cramped
conditions in those cabinets plus some of the supports on longer shelves
facing into the cabinets I just couldn't hold a drill steady enough to
do what you describe, so I got the idea of melting the heated screw into
the broken plastic stud.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia