Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Broken Kitchen Cabinet Shelf Supports - Removing Stems

On Saturday, September 2, 2017 at 4:46:50 PM UTC-4, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
When I got home from work yesterday SWIMBO informed me that a shelf in
one of the kitchen cabinets had fallen down because two of those little
plastic brackets the shelf rests on had broken off, leaving their stems
in the holes in the sidewall of the cabinet.

The first time I ran into this situation maybe thirty years ago my first
thought was to drill out the broken off stems so I could shove new
brackets into the holes.

That didn't work out very well, the drill wandered off and enlarged the
holes and in one case broke through the outside surface of a cabinet
wall requiring some patching and refinishing.

That's when it dawned on me there was a better way to remove those
broken off bracket stems. I've used this method several times over the
ensuing years with success every time. I'll share it here for those who
haven't figured it out themselves already.

I take a Number 8 sheet metal screw about 1-1/4 inches long, hold it by
the head with a pair of pliers and heat the pointed end of the screw
with our small kitchen torch until it's just short of red hot.

Then I just press the screw into the plastic stem as far as it will go
and wait a couple of minutes for the screw to cool off. When I can touch
the screw without searing my fingers I grab it with the pliers and pull
it and the plastic stub out, leaving the hole in the wood in unscathed
shape. Try it, you'll like it.

Jeff

....then replace with metal supports.