Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Recycling 6061 - T6

On 9/1/2017 11:31 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Use Flux for Al.Â*Â* Keep Oxygen out of the hot metal.Â* It will become
a sponge of tiny holes.

Float Al Flux over the pour and in the pour bucket as well.

Be sure to use the correct flux.

Martin

Â* Martin , have you actually cast any aluminum ? I use sodium
hypochlorite in the melt just before casting to degas the HYDROGEN in
the melt . The H2 comes from water vapor coming from the LPG flame I use
to melt it . Depending on how much crud is in my feed stock I may also
flux for other stuff , but not always . I never float a flux on the melt
while pouring . Brass , though is a different matter . I do float a
cover of ground glass to prevent oxidation and monitor the temp closely
to prevent vaporizing the zinc out of the melt .

Â* --

Â* Snag