Posted to alt.home.repair
Edward Lewis Edward Lewis is offline

Default Plant roots around toilet base.

On 9/2/2017 1:44 AM, jdc wrote:
replying to maradcliff, jdc wrote:
I had the same problem.Â* Roots grew up the OUTSIDE of the toilet drain pipe,
between the slab and the pipe.Â* Then they grew through the wax seal, just like
growing through soil, and then grew down into the pipe, like a horsetail
hanging in theÂ* pipe.Â* The plumber had seen this before, but said mine was an
extreme case.Â* Before replacing the wax seal, he packed a paste ofÂ* coarse
salt around the drain pipe, into the space between the pipe and the slab. I
hope this lasts, but if someone knows a better fix, please le me know.

Sure, remove the trees from your yard.Â* No trees = no roots in your plumbing.

And if you live in thunderstorm country, you won't have to worry about a tree falling on your house and you waking up with a tree branch up your ass.