Posted to rec.woodworking
Dr. Deb[_5_] Dr. Deb[_5_] is offline

Default BLO

On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 5:50:58 AM UTC-5, Dr. Deb wrote:
I "think" I already know the answer to this question, but thought I would get confirmation from the group. I am building three serving tables for a local church and the wood given me for the tables was rather freshly cut southern yellow pine. The boards that will make the top are dryer than the rest, but I am almost positive not fully dry. Of course, what passes for "fully dry" here in So. Ala, would be wringing wet in some places.

Anyway, to the question, "If I put BLO on the top,it is never going to dry, right?" Right now, my game plan is to give the tables to them and tell them to keep a table cloth (not plastic) on the tables for a year, then finish them.

Comments please.

Thanks.

Again, thanks to all. I had not thought of using the shellac wash coat, but it makes perfect sense.

As for the cloths getting stained, not a big problem, for a couple of reasons. The primary of which is I am going to tell them to use old sheets.

Thanks

Deb