Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default SketchUp

On 9/1/2017 12:03 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/1/2017 10:10 AM, Jack wrote:

I know I will never, ever upgrade SU again if I can help it, and if I
had it to do over again, I would have stuck with GoogleSketchUpWEN7.exe.
My recommendation is look for that version (DAGS) and use that one. I
suspect that the new commercial owners will be less willing to let the
world use their product for free, and each future up grade will be
pushing freeloading customers towards the commercial product. I could
of course be wrong, but really don't see any need for everyday
woodworker to go beyond version 7, which should meet most all
woodworkers needs.

I hear what you are saying Jack. BUT good news. You can upgrade with
out fear of loosing the precious version. I have multiple versions of
Sketch up on my computer. I have Sketchup 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and
2017. I had the same fears of an upgrade issue.

The issue with that is don't open an old .SKP file in a newer version,
or it will convert it to the new version and the old version will no
longer open it, so you are stuck using the new version even on old
files. I'm running version 8 something which seems to work exactly the
same as version 7. Could be new stuff I'm not aware of, but for my
money, 7 does everything I need and then some. The nag screen is
absolutely NOT worth the upgrade, as that seems to be all the upgrade
did for me. I could go back I guess, but too lazy to fool around with
mixed files/versions and all that rot.

The only thing, since these are clean installs, is setting up your icons
and shortcuts, if you customize Sketchup to your preferences, for the
new version, that takes me an hour or two.

That's another issue.

One thing for certain, Sketchup is a great tool for the woodworker. I
enjoy it almost as much as actually making stuff, and have designed lots
of stuff I never actually made. I do recall (faintly) in BC (Before
Computers) and I was really really into making stuff, I could draw a few
lines on a of scrap paper in a few minutes and build most anything.
Today, I can spend lots of time drawing up stuff for no really good
reason actually, but I seem to need it now... It's most useful purpose
is letting you see what a one off design will actually look like. As
far as the joinery, really, no need to draw up something you've done a
few 1000 times, or a few 100, or even just a few...
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com