Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Robert Roland Robert Roland is offline

Default Convert a 45 RPM record to Metric

On Fri, 1 Sep 2017 06:28:09 +1000, Trevor Wilson
wrote:

The metric part of the world also measures time in oddball units.

**Huh? You mean 'seconds'? Oddball?

Yes, the second is totally weird. Its original definition is one
86,400th of a day. Who in their right mind would divide something into
86,400 parts?

There are two basic units of time; the day and the year. Those are
astronomically defined. We pick one of those as the base unit. This
can be split into thousandths or millionths or whatever is practical
for the application. What we today know as a second is simply 11.6
microdays, or 31.7 nanoyears. I sleep about 300 millidays each night.

As you suggest, the second is so ingrained in everything that there is
no realistic way to get rid of it. But at least, let's abolish the
minute and the hour. Introduce a new unit that is 100 seconds. Let's
call it a "dol". There are 864 dols in one day. I go to work around
250 dols, but today I was almost 20 dols late.

think we are stuck with it. Switching to a new system would be
essentially insurmountable.

**RPM?

The 24 and 60 fractions.

Don't get me started on the way we divide the year.
--
RoRo