Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default LIDL inverter welder: first trial report

On 26/08/2017 21:01, newshound wrote:
Dropped into Lidl today for breakfast cereal and couldn't resist the
little 70 pound inverter welder.

Looks very similar to this one from last year

https://www.offerscheck.org/parkside...6/kw-18/285568

Doesn't come with any rods, so not been able to try it yet, but found
this video of one which looks quite similar, which seems to work rather
nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VLk49_k5F0

Of course that could be down to the skill of the user! Will report when
I have tried mine.

Welding rods arrived today, just had a quick play. Can confirm it is
easy to strike and hold an arc, not much problem with sticking after
playing with current settings. I'm not going to post any photos yet, but
able to form a strong butt weld between two bits of dexion without
blowing holes in it.

Cables and fittings all seem good quality and long enough for
convenience of use. Only tried 1.6 and 2 mm rods, will have to hunt
around for some heavier scrap to try the 3 mm.

If it continues to go well I will be tempted to invest in small TIG kit
(I already have "disposable" gas for the MIG).

Pretty impressed, really.