Posted to alt.home.repair

Default installing gas lines to pool heater

On Friday, September 1, 2017 at 7:05:00 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 8/31/2017 9:11 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 6:52:22 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 6:45:39 PM UTC-4, Deodiaus wrote:
How much for running three existing pipes without changing existing work upsteam?
How much for replacing the all the piping from above ground to the heater?
Best thing to do is get two or three quotes from plumbers in your area..

Is black iron or galvanized recommended?
For outside, I'd use galvanized, that's what's used here in NJ.
There was a lot of debate on the merits of black pipe vs galvanized.
I'm not sure I ever understood the entire reasoning, but I think
some locations prohibited galvanized on the theory that the zinc
can flake off and possibly clog appliance orifices. It may have
been also based on some regions back in the day having nat gas
that was not as pure and which had some substance in it that reacted
with zinc. Galvanized is permitted here.

I wouldn't get hung up on the cost of replacing one part of what
you have in that pic versus all of it. Getting a plumber out,
doing one part of it, once he;s there, doing the rest shouldn't
make all that much difference in the cost. The pipe and fittings
don't amount to much and it goes pretty fast.

What do you mean by properly bonded, bonded to the concrete slab? The previous one was on the slab directly.
All the metal on that pool pad is required to be bonded together
electrically so that it's at the same potential. There should
be a heavy solid copper wire there connecting the pump, heater,
etc all together. There is a bonding terminal showing in the
pic you have of the new heater and the old one should have been
bonded when installed.

You never use galvanized pipe with natural gas around here. It's not allowed by the building inspection department. The gas company runs black iron pipe and paints it with light gray paint whenever it's outdoors. I've heard different reasons why galvanized pipe is not allowed raging from the zinc flakes off and clogs gas orifices to the zinc reacting with the NG producing a toxic byproduct. All I know is to never argue with the inspectors. I'd check the local building code. You can always call the city inspection department to find out but don't tell them where you live and use a fake name if you plan on doing any work without a permit. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Gassy Monster

Â* Where the OP lives it's inspected by the county . But your point is
well taken . BTW , they have caller ID too , so he'd have to call from
somebody else's phone .
Â* --
Â* Snag

One of the things I did when I was still able to work was telecom work. I'd take my butt-set and connect to a pair on a NIC behind a shopping center to make calls. I've opened a pedestal in a rural area to make a phone call before. Now with Skype you can make calls and with a little nefarious activity you can spoof phone numbers. If I'm not mistaken, there are still payphones at truck stops. Dang, I could be a good terrorist if I could walk. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Phone Monster