Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

Default Convert a 45 RPM record to Metric

On 1/09/2017 5:50 PM, rickman wrote:
Trevor Wilson wrote on 8/31/2017 11:07 PM:
On 1/09/2017 11:29 AM, rickman wrote:
Trevor Wilson wrote on 8/31/2017 4:28 PM:
On 1/09/2017 4:59 AM, Robert Roland wrote:
On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 12:00:46 -0400, wrote:

If we were using a metric system at that time, would they still be
called 45 rpm, or would there be some metric numbers used instead?

The metric part of the world also measures time in oddball units.

**Huh? You mean 'seconds'? Oddball?

BTW: The "metric part of the world" is 95% of the world. A pitifully
insignificant 5% holds out against the inevitable.

You talkin' 'bout US?

**Yup. Just a few weeks back, I had to work on a US built product. Damned
thing had two different types of Allen bolts in it (Whitworth and
SAE). None
of my usual Imperial Allen keys would fit it. I had to grind an old
key down
to fit. I NEVER have such issues with products using Metric Allen bolts.
And, let's not get started with those insane fractional sizes, for
screws,
drills and all the other stuff. Metris stuff is so much easier. 1mm,
1.5mm,
2mm, 2.5mm, 3mm and so on. It just makes sense.

What are you talking about Whitworth???Â* Nobody uses Whitworth in the
US. That's a British thing.

**Truthfully, I have no idea what the other Allen bolts were. My SAE
Allen keys fitted one set, but none of the SAE ones I had (or the ones
my neighbour had) fitted. Maybe it wasn't Whitworth, but it sure wasn't
Metric or SAE.

Actually it's a bit funny that you are bringing up the fractions.Â* The
sizes you mention are only convenient because of chance.Â* Metric sizes
are often very inconvenient.

**Nope. Never. However, I'll bite: When do you think they're inconvenient?

Â* Feet and inches are very handy for most
things we deal with because they were invented with convenience in
mind.

**12 inches = 1 foot. 3 feet = 1 yard. 1,760 feet = 1 mile. In what
universe is this convenient? Western numbering is base 10. Not base 12.
It's ****ing insane.

Â* Metric is great when you are working with the numbers, but often
the actual sizes are much less than convenient.Â* Six foot skis are very
convenient, but 180 cm are not so much.

**Since my skis are 2 Metres, I find them quite convenient. Yeah, I
know, I really should buy some of those modern skis.

Â* Another example, PCB traces are
still measured in thousandths of an inch even when working with metric
sized boards because the numbers are much more convenient, i.e. 6/6 vs.
0.1524 mm.

**On that we agree. The electronics industry is likely stuck with such
arcane measurements for a very long time.

Yeah, I'm for converting, but it's not about convenience of units, it's
about being able to do calculations more easily.

**Yep. Base 10. Not base 12, or whatever silly measurements the Imperial
system deems appropriate. 16 ounces = 1 pound. Sheesh! How many pints in
a gallon? How many in a US gallon? It goes on and on, with sillier units.

Hell, the metric stuff has mucked up measuring devices even when they
aren't metric.Â* I've never seen a tape measure with binary based
fractions written in decimal numbers until now.Â* That is the most
useless thing yet!

**Huh? Most of my tape measures are printed in Metric and Imperial. The
Metric side is easier to use and read. FWIW: I grew up with Imperial.
Switching to Metric was painless and delightful.

I guess you can thank your brain-damaged Prez (at the time - Reagan) for
that stupidity. Come to think of it, you have another brain-damaged Prez
running the show again. What gives with you guys? You seem to vote for
people with the intellect of a 10 year old every now and again.

Seems to me electing bad leaders is not unique to the US.Â* Which country
are you from?Â* Never had any bad leaders, huh?

**Australia and, yes. We've had a few, but none quite as appalling as
Trump.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au