Posted to rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default BLO

On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 3:50:58 AM UTC-7, Dr. Deb wrote:
I "think" I already know the answer to this question, but thought I would get confirmation from the group. I am building three serving tables for a local church and the wood given me for the tables was rather freshly cut southern yellow pine. The boards that will make the top are dryer than the rest, but I am almost positive not fully dry. Of course, what passes for "fully dry" here in So. Ala, would be wringing wet in some places.

Anyway, to the question, "If I put BLO on the top,it is never going to dry, right?" Right now, my game plan is to give the tables to them and tell them to keep a table cloth (not plastic) on the tables for a year, then finish them.

The knots (any sap, in fact) will gum up with the oil, so you have to shellac those to seal 'em.
After that, BLO will adhere, cure, and after a while (a week in a temperate climate, maybe 3 days
in heat) skins over. Wipe down to be sure, but it will be safe against fabric after it cures.

I use the smell test; when it doesn't smell sour, the BLO has cured. The wood won't dry
fast after it's sealed, but it WILL dry and shrink somewhat. Shellac, or urethane, goes fine
over the oil (but I'm not sure about water-based urethane).